Friday, 14 March 2014

A little look into the past


What with uni deadlines and everything I've not had much time for designing in the past month.  As a bit of a consolation prize here is a project I worked on a few years ago that remains one of my favourites.  It's not particularly well executed and stylistically I feel it leaves a lot to be desired.  However, despite its many flaws this is one of my most ambitious creations.  During my A-Levels a small part of one of my art modules included designing home decor.  Drawing inspiration from the likes of William Morris and in particular Timorous Beasties (whose blog can be found here) I created a lampshade cover.  The original cut was relatively simple and then printed onto very fine tissue paper to allow the light to shine through.  Using such a delicate material like tissue paper created many challenges within itself. However, with a little patience and a lot of gentle cajoling of overly sticky ink from such porous paper I manged to create the desired effect. The orange hues are perfect for creating atmosphere on cold winter nights and bath the surrounding area in a warming light.

I particularly loved coming out of a project with something useful that I could continue to use.  As much as I like printing for the sake of creating a pretty picture or meaningful image, part of the joy of this project was creating something that years later I would still admire despite its many flaws.