Sunday, 30 November 2014

Autumn Almanac #2 - Sweets for my Sweet

So whilst catching up on work from Autumn (which will be in the next post) I was also working on Boyf's birthday prezzies! I have to admit sometimes I get a little over excited when it comes to his birthday and I like to spoil him a little.  It's nothing he doesn't deserve though!

I went a little more traditional with his card this year than I did last year and put together a little study of lots of tasty treats.






I'm really proud of the way this design turned out and whilst I had the cutters out decided to try a little mixed media experiment to accompany his birthday present too.  I know to a lot of people a selection of books on maps might not seem that exciting but if I've learnt anything from our frequent Reddit sessions it's that he loves browsing them, so hopefully he will feel the same about these books!  As a little bonus and inspired by a piece of fabric I found squirreled away in a box, I made him an overly sentimental and soppy message (sometimes I just can't help it). I'll be the first to admit I sometimes have problems expressing my emotions on anything, not just when it comes to how I feel about him.  I tend to store all the soppiness up and let it out in one smushy splurge. So when I found a piece of treasure map fabric I just couldn't resist! I had a little scrap of Lino left over from the piece I'd used to make his card that seemed the perfect size to cut a message in.  Having experimented printing on different textures before I immediately opted for canvas to give a vintage feel and therefore knew I had to make the print very clear and bold.  After trawling indie-hipster-girl Tumblr's to no avail I was forced to tap into my own sentimentality and imagination. Boyfriend is genuinely the most precious thing in my life and spending time with him is the most valuable way to while away the hours. To me he's a treasure, it's really that simple. I put together a small printed label to read "All Treasure Maps Lead Back To You" and decorated it with a couple of graphic diamond shapes.  This was then appliqued onto the map fabric and finally I embroidered a route to the pirates treasure.






As a small project this was simple and inexpensive but ultimately I think pretty effective (even if it was very gushy).  Lets just hope he likes it... after he's finished laughing at my cheesiness anyway!

No comments :

Post a Comment